Yesterday, Grayson made 7 months old! I know I say this every month, but I cannot believe it! On our computer screen, we have a window that continually scrolls pictures from our picture folders that are saved on our hard drive. Every day, I see an old picture of Grayson. I freeze it on that photo, enlarge it, and study it as I sit in disbelief.
A little off the subject story that kinda relates to G’s 7th month birthday: Ray’s birthday is coming up on the 17th of this month. Over the last few weeks, I’ve been thinking about all the details. Needless to say, this year, I have less time to prepare. Grayson isn’t yet to the age where he can help me. But I still want this birthday to be as special as all the rest. Of course, I had to decide what to get Ray, order a cake, etc. Going out to eat to celebrate a birthday is fun! However, I really enjoy cooking the birthday boy or birthday girl’s favorite meal. It is more relaxing than going out to eat. And cooking for someone (rather than buying them a good meal) is an expression of love, I think. Personally, I’m an “in the oven” type of cook – AKA, a baker. I’m not one to cook on the stove unless it involves a mix of some sort. I’ll never forget my grandfather’s reaction a few years ago when I mentioned that I don’t know how to make gravy. He said, “OH MY GOD. You don’t know how to make gravy. Yes, you do! EVERYONE knows how to make gravy!!!!” It isn’t that me cooking on the stove results in a nasty meal or some sort of disaster. It actually turns out pretty darn good if I may say so myself. ;) I just don’t enjoy it all that much. That is why I don’t do it very often. I leave it to Ray! ;) But when I do it, I do it because I want to – for a special occasion like a holiday or Ray’s birthday! Because I’m not that into stovetop cooking and because I suck at timing all that I’m cooking (trying to make sure we’re not stuck waiting an hour for that last thing to cook while the rest of the meal gets cold), I sometimes get a little frustrated. And I beat myself up if it doesn’t turn out good. One more thing Ray finally gets about me is that I always have to use a recipe. I just can’t cook things by memory. That is what separates a talented chef (i.e., Ray) from a girl who tries really hard and doesn’t do that bad of a job (i.e., ME!). In addition to all the ingredients the recipe calls for, I always throw in some extra ingredients – LOTS of love and care. :)
Anyway (back to what I was saying), as Ray and I browsed Target the other day, I thought about I cannot wait until Ray and I can cook Grayson’s favorite meal for his birthday! I can’t help but wonder if we’ll hope he’ll request one of Ray’s delicious signature dishes and one of my yummy desserts, only to hear him say, “I’d like pizza from Papa John’s and a cookie cake from Cookie Co!” ;) I decided we could give him a birthday supper, rather than the usual veggie dinner he has. A birthday deserves more than green beans or carrots! I suggested we try him on a baby food containing meat. After all, the nurse said we can try new foods on him as we feel comfortable. So, we picked up 2-3 jars of baby food containing meat.
When it came time to pop the jar on Gray’s birthday dinner (chicken with chicken gravy), I was so excited! I was going feed him while Ray snapped pictures. Well, to make a long story short, it wasn’t what I hoped it would be (to say the least). Grayson HATED it. He hated it so much that we don’t have a picture to post of him trying it. He hated it so bad that it made him sick. Poor baby. Ray and I felt so bad. Of course, we had no way he would hate it so much. We just wanted to try something new, give him a new experience on his special day. Afterwards, Ray and I talked about it. Neither of us know how anyone can eat that stuff. It smells so bad! Ew. Never again – no chicken for Grayson – at least not for now. In the future, we will try giving him REAL chicken.

One thing that sounds odd but is very true is the fact that Grayson is always as happy as a clam (as Ray says) after he pukes. I guess he just feels so much better! He’s been like this since Day 1. His entire bottle would come up. He’d be covered with formula. We’d be covered with formula. The floor would be covered with formula. We’d be worried about him feeling bad, trying to figure out how to best undress him and get him cleaned up, and then we’d look down and see a smiling and kicking! :) I was hoping his little tummy would be satisfied because it was full of 7th month birthday dinner. Instead, it rejected the birthday dinner that was sent down to it and sent it back up. That makes me sad. BUT on a different note, yesterday was very familiar and was an all around feel good kind of day like every other day because Grayson was so happy. :)
Unfortunately, today, Grayson has the sniffles, runny eyes, and a little cough. I think it is this weather change we’re going through that caused it. Both Ray and I have allergy/sinus troubles in our genes. Despite the fact that he doesn’t quite feel up to par, he’s been in great spirits. Since he can’t blow his nose, we’ve been suctioning it. As you can imagine, it isn’t pleasant having a rubber stick shoved in your nostril. He is squirmy when I do it. However, when I squeeze the bulb and it makes a suction sound, he smiles. Now that’s a happy baby!
I know this blog entry has become quite a hodge podge, but I want tell one more story. When Grayson calls for us during the night, it’s either because he’s wet or just wants to see us. It is very common for babies at this age to experience separation anxiety. That is why Ray and I are very attentive to him. We don’t waste any time getting there, let him know he’s safe, loved, etc. So often, Grayson is fine once he sees us and is given his pacifier. What’s cool is that we no longer wait to pull the pacifier from him. We let him keep it because he spits it out once he’s comfortable and sleeping good.
Sometimes when I’m tending to Grayson during the night, I lean over, place my elbows on the side of the crib, and rest my chin in one of my hands. Not the best idea for my back, I know. But I’m usually very tired and not into standing straight up. :) Anyway, my hand that isn’t supporting my head usually dangles a little over the side of the crib. If Grayson wakes up early in the night before Ray and I have turned in, our eyes have a hard time adjusting to darkness when we go in his room. We can see well enough to tend to him, but it takes a while to see well enough to see his face clearly, etc. So when I stand over him, sometimes I can’t tell whether his eyes are open, partially open, or closed. I just hope they are closed or will be closing soon. ;) For a week or two now, one way I know his eyes aren’t closed is when his arm reaches up to swat at my hair hanging above him! But a few nights ago, I knew he wasn’t sleeping because he reached up and grabbed my hand. :) My entire body was flushed with a tingling warmth. At that point, I didn’t care if Gray fell back asleep soon or if he wanted me to be there with him the entire night.
2 comments:
Happy 7 months Grayson!
Oh... and I never knew how to make gravy either until your dad taught me! :)
Gray will be enjoying Mom & Dad's delicious meals before you know it! I really enjoyed that last paragraph!
Post a Comment