Years and YEARS ago...well, in 1977, the world became a better place. My best friend, my husband of 6 years, my partner for life was born.
If you do the math, Ray is 30 years old. I don't think he's hung up on turning 30. Besides, age is just a number. And no number equals "old". You aren't old until you decide you are. My Granny lived 92 years and wasn't ever old.
A few days ago, Ray and I were talking about his birthday. Like me, he wonders how time flew so quickly. It seems like we were teenagers just yesterday. In the middle of our conversation, Ray burst out in song - "My Next 30 Years" by Tim McGraw. At first, I laughed. Both Ray and I are famous for singing a song in the middle of a conversation or putting our own words into songs. We're fun like that! :) Then I stopped laughing so I could enjoy Ray's voice. I love hearing him sing.
Needless to say, not every day of our lives is great. Heck, we have days now and then that are plain rotten just as every else does. But overall, our lives are GREAT! We're so in love, as we have been for years, and now, we have beautiful wonderful Grayson. Every single day, we are smiling, feeling good, and making memories. Of course, with Grayson, so many new things are always happening. But Ray and I continue growing and changing too - both as individuals and a couple. We can push each other's buttons when we want to...personally, I think that should be a pre-qualification of being a couple ;) ...but we enjoy each other so much. We connect with deep serious conversation and stupid immature fun talk too.
Anyway, as I stood there in the kitchen that evening as Ray cooked supper and I held Grayson on my hip, time seemed to ease up from its usual hurried pace. It was a very simple yet profound moment. Everything about it was fulfilling - the smells Ray was creating with a pinch of this and a dash of that, our dogs hanging out in the kitchen with us, the happiness radiating from our baby boy, and Ray's soothing voice in song - always such a "feel good" for me.
I listened to the words of that song (see below) - even though they don't apply word for word and couldn't help but think about how much I look forward to 30 more years...and 30 more with Ray.
____________________________________
I think I’ll take a moment, celebrate my age
The ending of an era and the turning of a page
Now it’s time to focus in on where I go from here
Lord have mercy on my next thirty years
Hey my next thirty years I’m gonna have some fun
Try to forget about all the crazy things I’ve done
Maybe now I’ve conquered all my adolescent fears
And I’ll do it better in my next thirty years
My next thirty years I’m gonna settle all the scores
Cry a little less, laugh a little more
Find a world of happiness without the hate and fear
Figure out just what I’m doing here
In my next thirty years
Oh my next thirty years, I’m gonna watch my weight
Eat a few more salads and not stay up so late
Drink a little lemonade and not so many beers
Maybe I’ll remember my next thirty years
My next thirty years will be the best years of my life
Raise a little family and hang out with my wife
Spend precious moments with the ones that I hold dear
Make up for lost time here, In my next thirty years
In my next thirty years
_______________________________________________
It's fun to think about Ray and I in 30 years - what we'll look like, where we'll be living, what our hobbies will be, etc. How we'll look is a funny thought to me - not so much of bigger, skinnier, etc. I'm referring to how we'll age. The fact is that we will age. We'll feel it...actually, we already are ;) and we'll see it too. No matter how Ray changes, I know I'll still think he's hot! :) You can try to picture something as much as you want to. But often, what you picture is nothing like how it ends up being (i.e., Grayson doesn't look like anything neither Ray nor I imagined - he's even cuter!). Unfortunately, I don't have a fancy expensive software that will give me an idea. So, I did the next best thing. I took a picture of Ray and Simpsonized it - forward 30 years. Check it out: My adorable husband at 60 years old! :)
Yeah, he'll be as hot then as he is now! And did you notice his ear? He's talking to his wife on the phone!!! Isn't he sweet?? :) Maybe he's calling to tell me how happy he is because Grayson will be coming over to celebrate his birthday with us! ;) Okay, back to present day...September 16th, 2007 - just ONE day before Ray's birthday! Grayson, Mya, Hobbes, Daisy, Yoshi, and I really put our heads together for Ray's birthday this year! We hope it is the best ever! By the way, one reason why I'm blogging today is because we're gonna be partying hard tomorrow!
Happy Birthday, Ray!
WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!
1 comments:
Happy Birthday - My boy. It's 30 years just like yesterday, you are always little boy no matter what the number.
Post a Comment