Wednesday, May 7, 2008

It's OUR thing!

I think every parent should have a special way they bond with their child. It doesn't even have to make sense to others. For example, I saw a mom with her three young children in Target yesterday. I would guess the kids were 2, 3, and 4 ("stair-stepped" as they say). It was evident the kids were getting tired. I heard one requesting to leave and saw another straggling way behind. All of the sudden, the mom stopped the cart, stood up real straight, declared herself "Mama Duck", asked her "ducklings" to follow her, and started waddling along. They all started laughing and filed a line being their "Mama Duck". Of course, her playing a game with them was her way of getting them to listen. But also, they were bonding.
.
Needless to say, ways a parent bonds with their child can and probably should change. Wouldn't it be silly for that mom to try to bond with her children like that in 5 years? I would say so!
.
If I sat and thought about it, I could probably come up with at least 4 or 5 ways Grayson and I bond. I'm sure Ray could think of just as many ways he and Gray bond. Today, I want to talk about one way Grayson and I bond that happens on a daily basis. And the funny thing is that he won't do it for anyone else to see. Here recently, I tried showing my mom. He wouldn't do it. He just wants it to be mine and his thing I suppose...and that's okay by me. :)
.
Gray generally takes 2 naps a day - one between breakfast and lunch and one after lunch. I hold him for a few minutes until he gets sleepy and lays his head down. But before that happens, he puts his eye hole over my chin. I work my jaw to lightly bounce his head. Sometimes he laughs the first few times my chin bounces him. It is this slow, relaxed, genuine laugh. :) But he always ends up pushing his eye to my chin, letting me bounch his head with my jaw, pulls his head away, looks up at me the sweetest and most loving way, rubs his face across mine a few times, and puts his eye back to my chin so I can bounce him some more. Sound weird? Maybe it does. It's just something you'd have to see I guess...BUT you never will cause it is mine and G's thing! :)
.

1 comments:

R&T said...

The way Grayson and I bond is less unique. It is him simlpy pouncing on my stomach (and hear me scream with joy) while I am laying flat! :-)