Monday, March 5, 2007

getting squeaky clean!

Instead of bathing Grayson in the kitchen as we have been, we bathed him in the bathroom over the weekend. My mom brought her little heater home from work for us to use. It worked wonderfully, keeping the bare Mr. Grayson comfortable and warm. Because we wanted Grayson to really enjoy his bath, we tried hard to do everything right.

I was in charge of gathering all the items we needed – shampoo, body wash, wash cloths, towels, a hooded towel, etc.



Since Grayson’s tub was in ours, Ray did most of the work. I’m not supposed to be bending over like that yet. I guess you could say I was the assistant. My job was to adjust the water, fill the rinse cup, squirt some body wash, etc. A lot of the items, like the body wash, were new. So, when I squeezed the bottle, nothing happened! The seal just needed to be broken. Ordinarily, not a big deal but it is when you’re in a hurry, hoping not to cause your sweet naked baby to decide they hate baths! :)

Ray discovered that leaning over the side of the tub isn’t easy. So, he squatted down in our tub next to Grayson’s.

As Ray was sudsing him up, Grayson springs a leak…all over Dad! Ray and I couldn’t help but laugh! A few minutes later, Ray asked Grayson to please let him know before he pees next time! :)

Finally, bath time was over. We took him out of the tub and started drying him off. Ray said, “Okay, Mom! Pass me a clean diaper for our boy!” Uh-oh! Mom forgot to get a clean diaper! I said, “I need to go get one real quick!” He smiled and said, “You forgot?” I said, “Yeah, it’s hard to think of everything!” About that time, we both reached to turn the heater down! It was getting a bit warm in there! :)

I left Ray and Grayson in the bathroom and headed to the changing table. On the way there, my leg felt extra heavy, but I didn’t take the time to look down to see what was going on. I quickly grabbed a diaper and headed back towards the bathroom. I handed it to Ray and then looked down to see what had slowed me down – Grayson’s wet diaper! One of the velcro belts had attached itself to my pants leg!

Oh, what an adventure it was! I would probably give Ray and I a B+! There weren’t any major screw ups, and Grayson enjoyed his bath! SUCCESS! We both said how patient our little guy is though. When we were slow to figure out the best way to do something or simply didn’t do something smoothly, Grayson gave us a look that said, “Don’t be so worried. I’m enjoying this – the whole bath experience and watching ya’ll scramble! Giving me a bath shouldn’t be so complicated! Ya’ll are funny!!!”

We ended up coming out of the bathroom with a happy, clean, sweet smelling baby boy! Even though not one tear was shed, I found myself questioning if we did everything right or at least wondering if we could’ve done something better. As I said, we want Grayson to enjoy bath time! Bath time is for getting clean but having fun is just as important! Just when I had convinced myself that I was over thinking the whole deal and worrying for no reason, I saw Ray online researching baby bathing tips! Sometimes I can’t help but laugh at us, being a new Mommy and Daddy! I think the best thing we can do (like with just about everything else) is let Grayson guide us…and he says we did a darn good job! :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story - and comical too! :) Mommie & Daddy are doing a great job! Grayson and Mimi says so!