Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ray is a great writer. I’ve read many awesome emails, cover letters, letters to the editor, etc. he has written. If there is ever anything that could stand improvement, it is his grammar. I sometimes tease him about a particular word or sentence sounding “Chinese-ish”. But I will say he has really improved over the years. And both of us are guilty of confusing word choice when speaking. He’s famous for saying “he” when he means “she” and little things like that. Mistakes like that are simply “Chinese-ish”! Whereas, I’m famous for not using the proper name for something. And to be honest, that’s because I don’t know what the proper name is. I either have my own name for things or I just use several adjectives to describe it! And there are occasions when I use the proper name for something and no one else in the entire world does! I have to look it up on the internet, prove I am right, and then Ray learns something new!

For example, do you know what this is called?

It is a bulb syringe aspirator. I call it a bulb syringe, which is very close. Actually, some websites I found also leave off the aspirator part. Even if I would’ve said the word aspirator, I don’t think Ray would know what I was referring to.

Anyway, when I said bulb syringe, it would take Ray a while to realize what I was talking about. So, I started tacking on adjectives. What I used to refer to as the correct name (bulb syringe) became the “bulb syringe squeezie thingie”! :)

Last night, after we put Grayson to bed, we hurriedly brushed our teeth and tucked ourselves in. As Ray closed his eyes and started dozing off, he said, “It’s going to take me a while to get used to this daytime savings”. I said, “Daytime savings?” He opened his eyes, smiled, and said, “DayLIGHT savings!” I said, “But you said, “Daytime savings…were you thinking about your Daytimer planner?!”

The question is whether or not Ray’s slip of the tongue was just “Chinese-ish”, the result of being a very tired Daddy in need of some zzz’s, or both! :)

We have a lot of fun giving each other a hard time. And for the record, I know Ray plans to tell a story on me! I just had to post mine first!!!! :)

0 comments: