In the past, I have blogged about my Aunt Polly, my Granny’s sister. Although I had not seen her in years, she and I kept in touch on the phone and through letters. When she got very sick a few years ago, her daughter, Wanda, started showing a strong interest in getting to know me. I think I had a better relationship with her mom than she ever did in many ways.
I’ve met Wanda several times, but it was when I was much younger. I’ve enjoyed getting to know her. She is an interesting person to say the very least. :) I don’t think she and I would be friends if we met on the street. I had much more in common with her mom than I do her. But she is a very nice person who means well.
Yesterday, I found a package at our doorstep from Wanda. It was jam packed with baby stuff (hooded towel, blanket, socks, booties, and numerous outfits), a beautiful necklace that belonged to my Aunt Polly, a letter she mailed me in 2004 that got returned to her and she is just now resending (don’t ask) and the following letter:
Dearest Ones:
Just heard and I’m so happy for you! I’ve been wanting to send this box to you for ages. I called your grandfather this morning and he told me the news! When he told me his name I just SCREAMED and asked him three times…he finally spelled it for me! I was stunned and here’s why –
20 years ago, my oldest son, Bill, and his wife were expecting. We talked names for months. I finally got my way. It was Grayson and final! They had Ashley Ann.
After many years of marriage, our second son and his wife were expecting. Now I was to have my Grayson. They agreed. They had Lauren.
Our youngest, Tom, and wife, Nicole, didn’t even discuss names. It was to be Grayson. (They chose not to know the sex). They had no girl’s names picked out. So, they had MacKenzie.
Six years later when a boy was coming, Nicole and I shopped together for Grayson. When he was born, Tom burst into the waiting room and said, “Jack is here!” I said, “Jack?” I really mourned for Grayson. For a long time!
___________________________________
Ray and I have gotten lots of compliments on the name Grayson Koa. Many have asked us how we came up with it, and everyone says they think it is such a cool name! But I must say that Wanda’s is the most interesting response we’ve gotten! Usually, when I read letters from Wanda, I end up thinking, “Wow…she is nice but kinda odd”. And I felt the same way as I read her letter to Ray and Mom last night. But it was so funny that I had a hard time reading it out loud without laughing, and I think we all nearly wet out pants! :)
1 comments:
Yes, we all love the name Grayson and I love that is the funniest story I've heard in a long time! I really enjoyed a good laugh! :)
Post a Comment