Monday, May 21, 2007

We bought Grayson a mobile from Pottery Barn Kids when we were awaiting his arrival. We didn’t know much about it. We thought it would look nice in his room. We also liked the song it played (“Hush Little Baby”). Because the nursery wasn’t complete, it sat in a box for a while. When we finally opened the box (several months later), we discovered one not so cool thing about it…it is a wind-up. Every 2-3 minutes, we have to go wind it again. But the very cool thing is that Grayson LOVES it! He smiles at it, laughs at it, and talks to it! Before I even get it wound all the way, he’s smiling, kicking his legs, etc!

As much as Gray loves his mobile, we decided to research what else was out there. We’ve heard great things and read reviews that praised the Fischer Price Ocean Wonders Mobile. In addition to music and colors, it has a remote control and a light feature! After we bought it, brought it home, and Ray put it together, we discovered the dang thing didn’t fit our crib! We tried every way possible, read the directions over and over, and I even called Fisher Price to make sure we weren’t doing anything wrong. The rep told me their mobiles don’t always fit newer model cribs. And of course, there is no adapter available. We were so disappointed. We took the thing apart (which was a big pain in the you know what) and took it back. I don’t ever remember feeling so sad when I returned something.

We did a little more research on other mobiles out there. We read good things about Tiny Love’s Symphony-In-Motion Mobile. It also has music, bright colors, and a remote control. It just doesn’t have the ceiling light projection feature. Between it being on sale and having a coupon, we got it for a good price. We went home with high hopes. This mobile was easier to assemble and fit our crib just fine. This must be the mobile we were meant to have…well, not exactly.

From the first time we turned it on, I hate it. It plays super depressing music. The colors are bright but are very odd looking. The animals are so weird they’re almost creepy. This garbage could be sending Grayson subliminal messages for all I know! ;) And I hate how these pieces continually slide around as the thing turns. It is meant to be entertaining for a baby, but I find it insulting.

Ray said, “Want to take it down?” I said, “I don’t know. I hate it, but Gray might love it. See what he thinks”. We put G in his crib and turned on the mobile. Instead of smiling, laughing, and kicking, he laid there looking very confused and slightly weirded out. Ray said, “Okay, want me to put the old one back on?” I said, “I don’t know. Maybe he’ll like it after a few minutes”. We stood there watching him look up at it. His expression didn’t change. Ray said, “I can take it off and put the other one back on. It’s real easy”. I said, “Okay. Yeah, take that piece of junk outta here!” Well, I didn’t call it junk, but you get the point! ;)

Ray took that Tiny Love mobile off the crib, and put Gray’s Pottery Barn Kids one back on. Well, actually, while Gray laid there, Ray screwed the white arm back on the crib (the other one had a neon green arm). I think he recognized the white arm because all it had on it was a hook (no hanging ornaments), and Grayson was already excited! I said, “Aw, Grayson, you even love that hook by itself!!!” Ray started laughing and then clipped the stuffed fishes onto the hood and wound the mobile up. Instantly, Gray started kicking his feet, smiling, and cooing! Ray said, “There ‘s your friends! You missed them, huh?” Grayson wouldn’t take his eyes off of them. It was so sweet!

What’s funny is that both mobiles cost around $50 - $60. The Tiny Love one is more popular and does more things. In one way, I think about how our boy is simple. After all, not many babies are. The fact that he loves the sound of the mobile being wound up is so funny! But on the other hand, I think about how Grayson has good tastes. He chooses the simple, good looking, classic Pottery Barn Kids mobile over the loud, annoying, popular mobile that most kids like. :)




a picture of Gray (taken with my cell phone) lying under his favorite mobile

0 comments: