Monday, April 7, 2008

Grayson continues doing some things he’s always done, and he does something new every day. His personality unfolds more and more. Ray and I are watching our baby become a little boy.
.
When it comes to mealtime, you don’t know what to expect from Grayson really. Usually, he’s good about being put in the high chair, drinking from his sippy cup, and eating. Sometimes, he isn’t. This evening, he had just climbed the stairs, got a round of applause, and was crawling towards the play room when Ray picked him up. Since he had stiff legs and was arching his back, it took both of us to get him in his high chair without him hurting himself or falling out. I must say that we do a good job keeping our cool. We usually throw a “Man, he’s gonna be something else when he’s 2” out there. Everyone wishes their baby/toddler were more cooperative at some point. We definitely feel that at times. But I am happy Gray knows what he wants (and doesn’t want) and is so determined. Oh and for the record, 9 times out of 10, when he is unhappy about getting into his high chair, he is okay once he is buckled in, has his tray on, and sees his sippy cup of juice coming.
.
When the subject of babies eating finger food and table food came up with our friends, we heard how much their child(ren) loved chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese. At almost 14 months old, Grayson still doesn’t like chicken nuggets, and he just started eating macaroni and cheese a few weeks ago. He really likes Kraft Easy Mac. That and sandwichs are two things we can pretty much count on him eating. There are a handful of other things (i.e., Yo Baby yogurt) we know he will eat. Otherwise, it is a matter of hit or miss. The good (and kinda funny) thing is that he KNOWS what he does and doesn’t want…and he’ll tell you with a “yes” or “no” head shake.
.
Today, I fixed him macaroni and cheese for lunch. He was enjoying it. Then he started doing his latest thing: playing with his food. He opens his mouth for a bite, chews it a few times, and then I see a noodle oozing out of his mouth and through his pooched lips. He sucks it in a little and then lets it slide all the way out onto his bib. Right after I pick it up, I see noodle #2 being processed through the Grayson Fun Factory. I don’t encourage him to do this. However, I don’t freak out. I tell him to eat rather than play with his food. He seems to understand and stops being silly. But not before squinting his eyes, smiling, opening his mouth full of chewed up macaroni noodles, and laughing at himself. ;)
.
And my goodness, I just don’t know if Grayson will ever get rid of the horrible cough he has. He’s had it for months now. ;) When we first caught on to his fake coughing, we say, “Oh my gosh. Are you okay?” He loves receiving concern. Regardless if he stops there or continues coughing, a smile always comes into play. When his show lasts for a while, you just have to see him take a deep breath in so he can expel more fake coughs. It is hilarious!
.
I think I mentioned before that Gray is a repeat sneezer (like his Dad and Daisy). He usually sneezes 3 or 4 times (if not more). I don’t sneeze lots of times in a row, so people that do seem odd to me. I am always amazed that they sneezed yet again when I thought they were finished. A week or so ago, Ray was already dressed for work when Grayson woke up. I said, “Do you want me to hold him since you are already dressed?” He said, “No, it’s okay. I got him”. I didn’t see any harm in it because Grayson doesn’t puke anymore. So, Ray carried him downstairs, put him in the high chair, and fed him breakfast. Just as he was about to stand up and get him out of the high chair, Grayson starts sneezing and blowing bits of his breakfast all over Ray’s pants. Both of us couldn’t help but laugh. Then a few days ago, something similar happened. I was finishing up feeding Grayson lunch. Twice, before I had time to realize what was happening, he blew macaroni and cheese all over me. Ew. As I got him out of the high chair, he sneezed again. Ew. By this time, I assumed he no longer had any food left in his mouth – either because he swallowed it or blew it all out. WRONG. As soon as I set him on the changing table, he sneezed again. Bits of Easy Mac were all over me, the changing pad, and the wall! Ew.
.
At times, feeding Grayson can be trying. But even when it doesn’t start off being pleasant, it ends up being a good experience. It is great one on one time with G. Everything from how excited he gets when he tastes something he likes to the horrible expressions he gives we he tries something I was sure he would like is enjoyable. I love seeing him shake his head “yes” as he chews something he likes. I love hearing him request his favorite: “buh-nuhnuhnuhnuhnuh” (bananas). I love how he claps for himself while he’s eating and smiles when everyone else joins him. I could go on and on. I was always told how special feeding your new baby is…and for me, it was. Both Ray and I got to bond with Grayson while he rested against our bodies and drank his bottle. But I got the impression the experience stopped there – when he stopped lying so still in our arms to drink his bottle. That isn’t the case at all. Now, we bond with Grayson as we sit face to face with him, him in his high chair and one or both of us sit facing him just a few feet away. And when he sits at the table with us in a regular sized chair, I know we will continue to connect with him, talk with him, and enjoy his company as much as we do now – just in a different way. Playing, eating, talking, resting, etc – I am so thankful for every minute I/we have with Grayson.
.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny little baby boy, I like that.