Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Grayson's brother and sisters

I know this blog is mostly about Grayson, but it is about our family also. And our dogs, Mya, Hobbes, and Daisy are VERY much our family. I used to blog about them all the time, but now "the new guy" gets just about every story. That is because he's always doing something cute, interesting, or funny! But with that being said, our dogs are as much of characters as they have always been.
.
When Grayson first came along, the dogs took a back burner. We still loved them, but G took up so much of our time. We felt terrible, but that is how it had to be. And honestly, I think our dogs understood. Daisy has this loving, mothering nature about her. Mya's body is proof that she is most likely a mother. And Hobbes, well, his bad boy ways make you think he liked being single. He seems like the type that doesn't like to be tied down. However, he does like the females. He flirts with Mya and Daisy. But we all know the one who stole his heart and who will forever be his girl - Mya. :)
.
Now that Grayson is nearly 14 months and mobile, the dogs are able to spend a lot more time with us. The dogs like Grayson. We're sure of that. But they are also kinda afraid of him. When he reaches out for Daisy, she goes away. Mya stands there and lets him pet her, but she has such a scared look on her face. Hobbes doesn't like Gray touching him either. He doesn't like anyone touching him really. We have to watch him the closest. His problems are not with Grayson. They are with everyone. How he was raised and/or trained is the reason for his aggressiveness. We are very careful with all of the dogs around Grayson, especially Hobbes. When we see Hobbes is in a bad mood, he gets put up immediately. We will not take any chances.
.
I'm so glad we have dogs. Grayson loves our dogs, and he loves seeing dogs when we go on our walks every day. I knew kids who never had a dog. Therefore, they grew up fearing them. Grayson won't. I think he will be an animal lover. That makes me so happy. Animals are just a little lesser of a human in my opinion. They have feelings, express themselves, are smart, and have lots of love to give. One can learn so much from animals - whether it be a bird bathing in a puddle or a dog standing in a big picture window barking at everyone who passes.
.
Grayson often wakes up talking. We love that. He very rarely wakes up crying. If anything, he fusses a little (like "Hey - I'm up. Come get me!"). But even if he is fussing, as soon as Ray and/or walk in the room, he smiles. Here lately, we've been letting the dogs come up the stairs with us to go in and tell Grayson "Good Morning". He LOVES that! And if we go get Grayson first, we take him with us to go let the dogs out of their kennels. He likes watching them eat their breakfast on our back porch.
.
During the day, Grayson and I let the dogs out a few times. He knows who everyone is. When we say one of their names, that is the one he looks at. But the only one he says is Daisy. As I always have, I say each dogs name as I open their kennel door. They are always SO excited to get out of their kennels. They run out before we can even get the doors open good. Before they can hang out with us in the house, we always let them outside. The dogs know this. They usually run straight to the back door. Here recently, I realized how wonderfully Grayson has learned our routine. As soon as I let the last dog out of their kennel and enter the hallway, Grayson says, "GO! GO! GO!" That is exactly what I do! :) I opened the door and let the crazy dogs out in the back yard. A month or so ago, I started bobbing my arm up and down (at my elbow), with my palm flat down, as I said, "Come on, Daisy!" (..."Come on, Mya! ..."Come on Hobbes!"). Right away, Grayson picked up on it! Now, as soon as we let the dogs out the door and into the back yard, he starts doing that "come on" gesture! :)

.

The One, The Only Daisy Girl.

.


Here she is rolling in the grass at our new house.
.
Miss Priss, Mya.
.

Last but not least, our cute little stud with major attitude, Hobbes.

.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great family and a great blog! That was fun to read!