Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Tornado WARNING!


.
We’ve had some wacko weather in Texas lately. Well, I guess every state is getting strange weather. Finally, I think our cool days are gone. And believe it or not, I already miss them. Summer is great. I enjoy summer, but my favorite seasons are spring and fall. Unfortunately, those two seasons don’t really exist anymore. There is no transition from HOTTER THAN HELL to CHILL YOU TO THE BONE (and vice versa). The weather I was looking forward to getting in June is already here in April! That means June and July will be unbearable. I don’t think anyone likes it so hot that when you get in your car that has been parked for 10 minutes, your breath gets taken away. That is just miserable. I have absolutely NO idea what Grayson and I will do this summer. Last summer, we stayed inside a lot. He was so young. But now, he is all over the place…and he LOVES the outdoors. I guess after I take him out in it a time or two, he might decide outdoors is best to avoid unless the sun has not yet risen or is in the process of going down.
.
I guess we’ve gotten some “April showers”. But more memorable than the April showers are the tornadoes that have been touching down everywhere. Last week, the radio announced a tornado warning in our area (not a watch – a WARNING). Within minutes, the tornado horns were sounding. It was kinda scary. So, I rounded up Grayson, Mya, Hobbes, and Daisy. First, we went into the front bathroom. That didn’t work out to well. It is kinda small for the 5 of us. Grayson and I were in the tub. At first, he thought it was kinda cool. But he wanted to turn the water on (and the shower head – fortunately, I caught him before he did!). Then the dogs didn’t like being in such close quarters. They were upset by the weather (especially the whipping wind), the tornado horns, and the electricity flashing on and off. Daisy got near the door and started barking. Apparently, she invaded Hobbes space to get there. So, they had a tiff and were nipping at each other. I felt like screaming, “OKAY PEOPLE! A tornado might be coming! Grayson wants to give us a shower, and ya’ll just want to fight! Let’s rethink our priorities, okay?!” Instead, I just herded everyone into our closet in the master bathroom. Of course, that didn’t go smoothly. Grayson didn’t want to relocate, and the dogs were all running in different directions rather than following me!
.
FINALLY, we got to our new hideout. It was much bigger than our last one. Daisy and Mya are BIG chickens when it comes to wind, rain, thunder, and lightening. Emotional women, I tell ya. I don’t think Hobbes wanted to be locked in the closet, but he didn’t mind the weather really. He seemed pretty calm and collected. Grayson was his usual self. He watched the dogs play as he pulled everything out of our drawers and off the shelves. By the time we heard the tornado warning was over, the floor was covered with nail polish, emery boards, towels, wash cloths, socks, and underwear!
.
The good news is that NO one was hurt. Some minor damage might have occurred in the area (shingles blown off or maybe some tree branches down). But I didn’t see anything horrible in our neighborhood. Thank goodness. I’m glad we took the warning seriously though. We were prepared just incase. And if this happens again, it should go more smoothly since we had a trial run. We’ll see!


.

Scaredy cats, Daisy and Mya.

.

Hobbes protecting his girlfriend, Mya.

.

Grayson listening for the next weather update on the radio.

.

0 comments: