Saturday, June 9, 2007

Today is a very special day!


Exactly 1 year ago today, on June 9th, 2006, I found out I was pregnant! I’ll never forget that day! When I got off the phone with my nurse (after screaming, “Are you serious?!” about 50 times in her ear), I called Ray at work. To be sure I got him, I dialed his work number and got to him through his extension rather than chancing him not being able to answer his cell phone.


When he answered, I said, “Hey! Do you have a minute?” He something like, “Yeah, just a minute. I’m late for a meeting. What cha got?” I said, “Are you sitting down?” Ray kinda hesitated and said, “No, why?” I said, “Sit down”. If I remember correctly, he hesitated and said, “I’m LATE for my meeting but o-kay…” That’s when I said, “We’re PREGNANT!!!!!” And honestly, I don’t remember what happened after that. :) I just remember that day being the happiest, most wonderful day! :)


Also, today, Grayson makes 4 (yes, FOUR) months old! I cannot believe it! In so many ways, I can’t believe he’s been here with us for FOUR whole months! Time flies! But in many ways, we feel we’ve known him FOREVER. To sum it up, we’ve never been more busy, free, focused, dazed, exhausted, energized, unsure, confident, hard-working, laid back, uptight, relaxed, sore, comfortable, distant, connected, appreciative of alone time, hungry for family time, baffled, amazed, in opposition, madly in love, and finally, thankful and so overjoyed. :)


At 4 months old, Gray keeps us hoppin’ (as he has since day 1). In the last month or so, he started laughing out loud, using his tongue to say just about everything, and making efforts to rollover. He also took his first plane ride! And last but not least, he’s started teething!
We don’t see a tooth breaking through yet, but we’re sure it will just be a matter of time. The nurse suspected that’s what was going on when we told her that Grayson was eating a lot less and getting him to eat that small amount was a struggle. She advised us to rub a little infants Tylenol on his gums about 15-20 minutes before a feeding to cause a very slight numbing effect. It worked like magic. He went back to being the good eater he’s always been. When you don’t eat enough, you’re hungry (obviously). And when you’re hungry, you don’t rest well. And when you don’t rest well, you aren’t too happy. But now that he’s straight, he’s eating good, resting better, and back to that extremely happy little guy we know! Thank goodness!


A countless number of times, Ray and I have ask each other how long this teething process lasts. What’s funny is that neither one of us has looked it up (and we know that), yet we still ask each other. I think we just want the other to say a reasonable amount of time to put our mind at ease! ;) Teething isn’t easy for Grayson nor Mommy and Daddy. Poor G-Man drools all the time, keeps a slightly red face, has some diarrhea (but experiences no pain with it), and has sore gums of course.


I hate seeing him feel bad, but I know there’s no way around getting teeth in! This is just another reminder of how fast he’s growing. I can’t help but smile at our guy who has a continuous saliva drip, shiny lips and chin, and a big circle of wetness around the neck of his onesie. But honestly, I don’t think his condition is “cute” because all I can think about is how uncomfortable he is. How he smiles, laughs, and coos when I know he feels so rotten is beyond me. I just want that one tooth to pop out and stand alone. Now, THAT will be cute! :)


Grayson’s 4 month checkup is Monday morning. We’ll find out what he’s weighing, how long he is, how long before we can add cereal to his diet, etc. It’ll be fun! He’ll also get more immunizations – NOT FUN! What’s cool is that Ray is going to work a little late so he can go with us! He and Gray always hang out while waiting for the doctor to arrive. And when the doctor needs someone to hold Grayson, Ray always volunteers. All I do is assist by passing a diaper, moving the stroller out of the way, etc. :) Oh – I ask lots of questions too! Imagine that! We pay that guy good money. He can answer my questions, no matter if they are lengthy, detailed, redundant, or plain stupid. Once the doctor does all of his stuff, that’s when I start shooting questions. I ask anything and everything I want to know. Ray stands there intently listening while juggling Grayson from this shoulder to that one. Finally, I say, “I think that’s it…Ray, can you think of anything else?” He always gives me the biggest smile and says, “No. I think you covered it all. You asked everything I wanted to know and more!” :)

0 comments: