Monday, July 9, 2007

Gray's hero for the day - what an honor.

I know that not everyone is willing to admit they have or at least have had bugs in their house. It is an embarrassing topic. But at some point, I know that everyone has had bugs in their house – spiders, roly polys, ants, roaches, or something. When I was a kid, I remember our problem being roaches. It rained a good bit in Louisiana, and our house was surrounded by trees. What am I trying to say? ROACHES, ROACHES, ROACHES! I still hate roaches. Ew. When I see one, I freak out. Those dang things are so unpredictable – they might run a direction you don’t expect them to…or even worse – they might fly in a direction you don’t expect them to (like yours)!


Bugs find their way into the house we’re living in now. I would say just as much as the average 55 year old house. Because the rain seems to be going away and is being replaced by unbearable heat, the bugs we’ve been dealing with lately are flies!







In the last 2-3 days, we’ve killed 6 or 7 flies! There is no way they all just found their way into our house. It isn’t like we keep our doors open or anything! My best guess is that a girlfriend and boyfriend – or to be classier, let’s say a husband and wife found their way into our house, used it as a bed and breakfast, and had a family! I’m just joking – I don’t know how it happened really. I just know that Ray and I have killed 6 or 7 flies in the last few days. What’s weird is that we’ve never had a problem with flies before…anyway!


Everyone knows what smashing a bug is like! I’m an animal lover, but bugs aren’t animals to me. Creepy crawly things freak me out! I am one of those that will chase a bug down, beat it to a pulp, scream with disgust, and then show everyone my kill! I have no idea why it feels so good to prove that I can outsmart a bug (who probably doesn’t even have a brain). It just does. When I show Ray something I’ve killed, I have to tell the story in kind of a dramatic way to get a response even close to what I’m looking for. If I want a “YUCK! THAT’S GROSS!!!”, he’ll give me a “Wow – you beat the s*** of him huh?” Again, not the response I look for but better than nothing. ;)


Well, a few of those flies were actually in Grayson’s room! I know – it’s horrible. Just like with anything else – a fly, a bee, a robber, or whatever can mess with me... but not with my child!!!!! Those stupid pests being in Gray’s room made my blood boil! The nerve! While Grayson laid in his bed facing the windows (where the flies were humming behind the blinds), I took care of them. He saw the whole thing, poor baby – his mom crazily beating the window with a fly swat and the flies falling to their death. He gave me those serious eyebrows of his as he watched me. I know he was wondering what the heck I was doing. I talked to him the whole time so he wouldn’t be frightened. When those dang flies were dead, I must say I had the BEST feeling. Even though Grayson couldn’t say, “Good job, Mom!”, I bet he thought I did a good job. I thought I did a good job! As I said before, outsmarting a bug feels good – and getting a big reaction feels good too – but what feels even better is protecting my son! I do realize that flies aren’t exactly dangerous…in any way. But they are definitely annoying and gross! And I must say it feels dam good to have spared him the annoyance and the heebie-jeebies! :)



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny! Good job swatting the flies!