Sunday, July 1, 2007

the boob tube


Neither Ray nor I are big TV watchers. There are certain TV shows we like. My favorite is The Office. Ray likes Lost, Mavs basketball games, football games (especially LSU), etc. But when I think of a TV addict, I think of someone who sits down in front of it with nothing in mind to watch and flips from channel to channel until they go to bed. I’m no t like Madonna who declares all TV bad. There are a lot of good shows out there – some educational, some comical, etc.

When I was a kid, I watched a good bit of TV. I watched The Bozo Show before (yes, I said BEFORE) school and then The Flintstones, Sesame Street, and Mister Rogers after school! And after doing my homework and eating supper, I often watched Growing Pains, The Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers, Night Court, etc. But the catch is that I always had good grades. That’s why my parents were okay with me watching hours of television. I’m sure that if my grades ever started slipping, I wouldn’t be allowed to watch that much TV. What’s funny is that all the TV I watched didn’t affect me negatively, and now, I’m not even into TV.

Mine and Ray’s take on TV is that it’s fine. We just don’t want Grayson to be only interested in TV when there are so many other things to do like play with toys, go outside, make art, hang out with our dogs or Yoshi, etc. Again, TV can be entertaining and educational. I do see value in it. But we don’t want him to be glued to it all the time – that’s for sure! Fortunately, the cable and satellite companies have realized that not everyone likes the junk they put on the major networks. They now have channels for those who like to cook, enjoy sports, love animals, etc.

The other night, Ray and I left the box on after watching the news and a few minutes of America’s Got Talent (a fine example of stupid TV) when it was time to give Grayson his bath. A little later, I went in the living room to turn it off. The very first thing I saw was a dead woman (with blood coming out of her mouth) laying on a table in a morgue! I’m serious! That ticks me off! I don’t want to see that!

Anyway, considering that neither Ray nor I are TV phenes, Grayson loves TV. We’re not concerned though. It isn’t like he cries when we walk away from it with him in our arms. We’re actually amazed and think its quite funny! To be honest, I think Gray was watching (yes, really watching) Lost with his Dad long before we started buying him Baby Einstein videos. In light conversation (conversation has to be minimal during an episode of Lost in our house), we’d talk about how funny it is that he seemed so interested in the show. Then came the Baby Einstein videos…he likes them, certain ones more than others.

Now his list of interests has been extended. He still likes Lost, though he’ll have to wait a while to enjoy it with Dad again because they’re new season doesn’t start for a while. He likes Baby Einstein, and Mimi recently watched Finding Nemo with him. He really enjoyed it! Have you ever heard of the show Age of Love? Ray and I watch it. The show is about 40 somethings and 20 somethings all fighting to win over a 30 somethings’ heart. It is interesting and kinda funny! Trash TV, I guess, but it’s entertaining. Well, Grayson thinks it is really funny too! When Ray and I are talking about how trashy some girl is and how we can’t believe she just said what she said, Grayson smiles and starts laughing! It is like he knows just how dumb all these girls are – and just might think they’re cute I guess…;)

Today, we put Grayson in his bouncer/rocker chair to watch a Baby Einstein video while we ate lunch. When the DVD stopped, Ray ejected it and left Grayson sitting in front of the TV for a few seconds while he brought his dishes to the sink. As I walked towards the living room, I heard Gray squealing with delight. When I walked in the room and look at the TV, I saw Christie Brinkley on the screen using the exercise equipment she endorses called “Total Gym”. I laughed too – at him, of course but also at how funny Christie Brinkley sounded as she talked about how her arms, tummy, etc were feeling as she did certain moves with that contraption. :) But again, I guess he might have thought she was cute! ;)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so funny!LOL