Friday, July 11, 2008

our trip to Target

Grayson and I went to Target this morning after breakfast. We had a list of things to get - some we needed RIGHT AWAY (like toilet paper) and the other things were for making a pie to bring to our friends' house this weekend.
.
G woke up a little earlier than usual. I worried he might not be in the mood to go shopping. But apparently, a glass full of his soy milk, some mini blueberry muffins, a few bites of Golden Grahams cereal (dry), and a helping of bananas gave him a good start to his day. He was in a great mood, and so was I. So, we headed out to shop.
.
Our little guy is so friendly. He smiles at people, especially little people like him. And he waves a lot - regardless of whether or not someone waves at him first. :) Sometimes it is as if he is in search of someone to wave at. It's cute - very cute! :) I know what my grandfather would say, to watch that. I've heard the speech 1,000 times. Correction: It has been given to me 1,000 times. I was told that friendly kids are more likely to be kidnapped. The explanation is that the kidnapper doesn't have to work hard to coax a friendly kid to go with them. Yada, yada, yada is what I say. It is true, I suppose, but you can get yourself all worked up if you obsess about the facts too much. We are always ALWAYS with Gray, watching his EVERY move. Grayson will definitely be taught about strangers. And before someone tries to take my child, they better kill me first.
.
With all that being said, Grayson was so cute waving in Target. He doesn't like riding in the front (small basket) of the cart anymore. So, we spread a blanket on the bottom of the basket and let him ride in there. 9 times out of 10, he doesn't sit. He stands, faces ahead, and rides the shopping cart like it is the Titanic! :)
.
As Grayson and I were leaving one side of the store (where the baby stuff is located) and heading to the grocery side, I stumbled. I guess I was dragging my feet - got that bad habit from Ray I'm sure. ;) My flip flop kinda slipped off and hurt my foot. I said, "OUCH!" Grayson thought it was so funny! :) Again, I said, "Ouch!" He smiled and said, "Oush". :) Isn't it funny how certain words we use every day (and think nothing about) make a little one smile or laugh because of how they sound? :)
.
The last few things I needed were in the produce section. I try to save the fruits and veggies for last (and bread too) because Gray really likes them! I can't even put them in the cart. If I do, he picks up the bag, jolts it around (sometimes spilling the bag), and squeezes what's inside way too tight. I've had to put back bananas at the end of the checkout line because Grayson made them look inedible. So, what I usually do is hold the bags of produce in my hands so he can't get to them. Needless to say, he doesn't like this. But today, there was a distraction from all the goodies I was holding in my hands (and trying desperately to keep from him). It was a discussion - a loud discussion - between two Target employees. The lady was in the deli and the guy was stocking veggies in the refrigerated area (on the other side of the produce department). Rather one walking to the other, they opted to yell. I don't remember exactly what they were saying. It was something work related. I was distracted from listening because Grayson hears them yelling and proceeds to do it too! I couldn't help but laugh!!! G tends to yell when he hears others doing it. When I yell to Ray from another room, he does it too. But what makes it really funny is that he yells in his language - baby babble! Oh, the fun doesn't stop, I tell ya! :)
.
Before checking out, I pushed the cart to what I call the "cheap area" near the checkout. Just about everything over there is $1. They have some pretty neat stuff for next to nothing. We have found Gray some neat little toys on several occasions. This time, I found him two things: a United States map flap up book (that gives a few facts under the picture/flap of that state) and a little soccer ball that bounces really well. I didn't know it bounced really well until I handed it to Grayson. When I handed it to him, he got so excited, had a HUGE smile on his face, let out a squeal, and chunked it out of the cart! This went on until we got to the checkout. That is when I explained to Gray that the lady needed the ball so she could ring it up. To my surprise, he didn't complain. G LOVES balls nowadays. He loves tossing it (or having us toss it to him) and hearing us say, "Get it!". And he even says it himself! :) By the way, he likes the U.S. map book too. When I took it out of the shopping bag and handed it to him, he sat down on the floor, opened it up, opened a flap, smiled, and then opened another. :)
.
On our way out of the store, we passed several water fountains. I thought about how much Grayson loves water. We have water fountains near the splash park in our neighborhood, but the water isn't ever that cool. So, I never consider getting some water from it myself - much less offering it to Gray. But I knew these fountains were probably cold. I got him out of the cart, strategically placed him on my hip (it's a trick now that my belly is pretty expanded), and got a sip of water so he could see how it's done. He smiled and leaned inward. He knew exactly what to do! He LOVED it! He got a shot of cold water on his mouth - and had some dripping off his lips! You can tell he thought it was refreshing and lots of fun! :) SOMEHOW, while holding him up there to drink from the fountain, I managed to take a picture with my cell phone. Am I good or what?! ;)
.


.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading these stories is like watching a video! I can see every detail - every expression - even the hear the yell. I am smiling and laughing the entire time! :)