Thursday, July 31, 2008

Today, Grayson and I had a great lunch together. We ate a grilled cheese and Chinese macaroni. But it wasn't the food that was so good. It was the experience.
.
At first, G was a bit impatient as he waited for his lunch to get ready. That isn't anything unusual really. ;) But he was not only a good but a GREAT eater today. He ate a decent amount of macaroni and sandwich without a fuss. And of course, he did an awesome job drinking his milk. I was so proud of him!
.
Then, over time, his eating started to slow down. I could tell he was getting a little sleepy. Rather than talking to me, he began looking at me. He wasn't staring off into space. He was simply looking deep into my eyes. He did this for - I don't know - at least 2 minutes (which is a long time). I didn't say a word. I just made eye contact with him. It was like we were communicating with our eyes. Honestly, I don't remember him being so interested in me since he was a baby. It was great. Finally, our connection ended as a sweet smile came over his face.
.
A minute or so later, the clock in the living room dinged. It was 1:00. He turned around in his high chair and said, "Gock". I said, "Yep, that was the clock dinging. That's Granny's clock". He said, "Granny". :)
.
I couldn't believe my ears! As tears filled my eyes, I said, "Yes, that clock belongs to Granny". He smiled and said it one more time but not as clearly. I tried to get him to say it again, but he wouldn't. He says things when he wants to. I don't know when I'll hear it again - or when anyone else will get to hear it, but I can't wait! It was AMAZING.
.
I know Granny heard him. If she were here, she'd laugh and pat him on the leg. For a moment, I could picture here right there with me and Grayson. She'll never be with us physically, but she was there having lunch with us today. Grayson and I felt her.
.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! How wonderful! This made me tear up - What a wonderful moment you experienced and yes, I too can see that big smile on Granny's face! How sweet! He is already getting to know Granny and Granny is very pleased.