Monday, August 6, 2007

up and at 'em!

Both Ray and I have been experiencing pain and soreness in various places (our arms, wrists, shoulders, and backs) in the last few months. Just this morning, I moaned when Ray wrapped his arms around me. He said, "I'm sorry! You ok?!" I said, "Yeah, my shoulder just hurts". He started massaging my right shoulder. I said, "It's my left one that hurts".

Sounding kinda aggravated, he said, "Have you been suffering in silence?" I said, "No. Don't you remember a few weeks ago when my shoulder was bothering me?" He said, "Yeah but has it hurt since then?" I said, "No, not continually". With a smile, I said, "The aches and pains are ongoing ya know?" Knowing I was right, he smiled, but that smile of his turned upside down pretty fast.


I said, "What's wrong?" He said, "Why don't you go to the doctor to get it looked at?" I said, "It's fine". He said, "It isn't fine". I said, "Well, I'm hurting now but it'll get better". Again, he said, "Why don't you get your shoulder looked at?" I said, "Because it will get better. Besides, it isn't just my shoulder. Sometimes it's my back. Sometimes it's my wrist..." He said, "You need to get it all checked out at once". I said, "No. I'll be okay. Nothing major is wrong. And I know what's wrong with me anyway".


At that moment, I knew exactly what Ray was thinking. He thought I researched medical information online and diagnosed myself. I have done that a few times in the past. Many people are guilty of doing that at one time or another. Sounding a little sarcastic but not mean, he said, "Oh yeah? What's wrong with you?" With my most serious face, I said, "It's called I HAD A 10 POUND BABY". He couldn't help but smile. :)


And here's another "we're parents and feeling it" story for you! When Ray and I woke up in our hotel Sunday morning (on our getaway), we were having a real hard time getting started. We had a pretty good night of sleep, but it would've been better without weird/stressful dreams and an a/c that froze us out. We woke up several times because of those 2 things.


Well, the a/c blew such cold air! It felt like a blizzard in our hotel room at times. The first time it woke me up, I RAN to the thermostat and started punching on the arrows like crazy! I decided I'd push it up about 5 degrees to make absolutely sure it cut off. But when I got up the next time (because I was so cold), I discovered that I must have turned the thermostat 5 degrees LOWER rather than HIGHER. People who are 1/2 asleep do those kinds of things. SO, I suppose I am to blame for part of the night's miserable cold. ;)


ANYWAY! Our plan to fight our morning funk involved breakfast. For me, breakfast hasn't ever been an option. It is a MUST. Without it, I turn into a BEAR. Ray learned this about me and will not let me miss breakfast (even if means we run a little later getting ready to go somewhere). And over the years, Ray has also come to realize the importance of breakfast. Besides providing fuel for the day, it is quite tasty!


So, we headed downstairs and enjoyed some breakfast. When we finished eating and headed back up to our room, our stomachs were filled with variety (toast, oatmeal, eggs, sausage, bagels, danishes, coffee, milk, etc). We were a little overstuffed but on our way towards being fully charged.


As we opened the door to our room, the first thing I saw was the bed...and I had an overwhelming desire to crawl back in it. I suggested we do some stretching instead. I think Ray has really come to appreciate my unusual ideas! ;)



I told Ray to start our stretching routine. The plan was for him to do a stretch, me to join him, for me to come up with one, for him to join me, etc. When Ray's first move was the one I planned on doing, I whined. He laughed. I guess I was so into coming up with moves different from Ray's that I completely forgot we were supposed to be taking turns! Ray asked me if I had become the sole instructor or what! Oooops! I gave the floor back to him. :)


We had fun stretching, and it felt pretty darn good. But we laughed at ourselves and each other the entire time because our joints cracked non-stop. Our bodies creaked like 2 people who are near 80 rather than approaching 30! ;)


We won't deny that our bodies are worked pretty hard nowadays, but our morning exercise routine is proof that we're so young at heart and are having such a good time together. And we always talk about how Gray will probably grow up telling people that his Mommy and Daddy are unusual people! :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You two are funny and Gray won't be telling people his parents are unusual, he will be saying his parents make him laugh (he already thinks his mommie & daddy are funny) :)