Tuesday, August 14, 2007

G's latest "likes"

I’ve been working on a list for a week or so of all the things Grayson is interested in these days. As much as I would love to, I can’t blog about each one separately. Time simply doesn’t allow me to. So, here they are all piled into one blog entry!

.
First of all, Gray likes looking at clocks. We first noticed him doing that when we were at my mom’s place one night. He would go from looking fascinated by it to smiling at it! Since then, I’ve noticed him looking at the clocks in our house. Maybe he likes the second hand. We’re not sure.

.
Next, he likes his Dad’s watches. This isn’t related to his interest in clocks. I’m sure that makes Ray’s relatives let out a sigh of relief because in Chinese culture, a clock symbolizes a countdown – to death, if I’m not mistaken. Not long after Ray and I started dating, he told me how Chinese people do not give clocks as gifts. When I see Grayson checking out clocks, I just laugh and think “He thinks clocks are neat! That’s cool!” or I turn it into a joke by saying, “He wonders how long it’ll be before Dad gets home!” Anyway, as I was saying, he likes his Dad’s watches. Ray wears these big cool leather watches. Gray doesn’t give a hoot about what the watch does. He likes holding on to its big face and wide band.

.
One new absolutely adorable thing Gray does is rest his hand on his leg. I cannot get over it. He just sits there with his little hand resting on his leg. When I see him doing it, I bring it to the attention of everyone around me! I see him doing it most when he’s sitting in his car seat.



Something else he does in his car seat is talk – a LOT. As a matter of fact, Ray has started referring to G’s car seat as his “talking chair”. Grayson gets this serious look (with his eyebrows positioned just right), flips his tongue around, and lets it all out. What really cracks us up is when he looks at himself in the mirror as he talks so seriously! Sometimes Ray talks back to him (either in English or by mimicking Gray’s sounds). Gray stops to listen, but as soon as Ray stops, he starts talking again. He LOVES hearing himself. :)

.
And finally, there are two things I’m bunching together because I caught Grayson doing both in one photo – watching TV and chewing and sucking his fingers. I know both of these likes have been mentioned before, but they are worth mentioning again.



Grayson likes watching TV. That’s all there is to it. I’m okay with it as long as it doesn’t get out of hand. He likes watching his Baby Einstein videos and whatever we watch. We never watch anything violent, scary, or something that could affect him negatively. I think he really likes the colors and the movements of the people/objects on the screen. I don’t ever want Gray to sit in front of the TV for hours, flipping from station to station, desperately in search of something to watch. Neither Ray nor I do that. It is EXTREMELY unhealthy. But I’m completely okay with him liking TV. I like it some now, and I especially loved it as a kid. As I said before, I might have even watched too much TV as a kid. And I turned out just fine! :) If you disagree, let’s take it outside!!!! Just kidding! ;)

.
As far as his fingers, he’s always been curious about them. And for the longest time, he tried to figure out how to make them fit best in his mouth and soothe his itchy and sore gums. Now, he knows EXACTLY how to get them in there. We’ve seen him suck his thumb. But he prefers all of his fingers in his mouth over just his thumb. No worries – we do work to keep his hands clean. :) When he sucks and chews on his fingers, his entire hand gets soaking wet and shines from the coating of saliva on it! Gross? Yeah, tell me about it. Gray likes grabbing our nose, feeling our face, etc. On more than one occasion, he has grabbed my nose and even my hair with those “sugar coated” hands!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's so cute! It is so much fun to see and hear about all the thngs he is learning and that adorable personality!