Sunday, January 4, 2009

it's so now but it's so forever

Tonight, as I peered into our living room from our dining room, I felt the present but also got a strong feeling about the future. My mom was sitting on the couch holding our brand new baby boy, Zander. Grayson was sitting on the floor building a tall tower of Legos as he watched his favorite Barney DVD, Songs In the Park.
.
Though they are both so little - one just shy of 23 months old and one just shy of 2 weeks old, I thought about how happenings that already seem simple and maybe even "usual" are quite profound. I couldn't help but think about how this very evening will somehow affect Grayson and Zander's lives...probably not in a big way but somehow it will. If nothing else, it will add to the structure of security building in their head called home.
.
One day, these boys will no longer be boys. They won't need to be held and fed...we will no longer hear "PEAS!" (Please) when they want us to keep their Lego tower from falling over. They will become men, men who one day will make their own decisions, have relationships, and maybe one day have their own families. It's a strange and scary but amazing thing to imagine. Ray and I have been given the opportunity to give two little lives a good start to all that's to come their way. How lucky are we, huh?
.

0 comments: