Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Rhythm - that's what we got yo!

.
As I've mentioned before, I was QUITE a dancer when I was little. It is so cool how most kids don't get embarrassed because they are kids. They don't think that they are being judged by how well they dance, if they're doing it right or whatever. But as I got older, I became very self-conscious about my dancing - and eventually, stopped all together. That's really sad cause dancing is a really fun and freeing thing.
.
When I met Ray (college years), he was the type that liked to go dancing. I wouldn't ever dance with him. I felt everyone was looking at me and judging me. I'm sure I could've gotten a confidence boost from alcohol like every other girl in the place, but I'm not a drinker. So, I just told Ray about 100 times a night that I would NOT get out on that dance floor with him.
.
Everything changed once I became - of all things, a MOM. My dear Grayson LOVED to dance. He loved dancing before he could stand on his own two feet. He felt the beat of the music but enjoyed expressing it by dancing through his dad and I. We danced with Gray to everything from lullabies to Christmas music. Slow, fast - it didn't matter. It was always fun, and G always loved it!
.
It's amazing how when I'm dancing with Grayson (and now Zander too), I think NOTHING about anyone else. It is all about me and whatever boy I'm holding. The rest of the world can go to hell.
.
Because I was born in the south and raised in a town that is kinda backwoods and maybe even slightly "trailer", I am a closet rap music lover. And if I may say so myself, I think I can bust a move quite well to rap music. It's in my blood or something. Gotta love the beat, the rhyming, and of course, the ridiculous amount of curse words! ;)
.
Anyway, a few days ago, Gray was messing with the tuner dial on the radio in our kitchen and decided to leave it on rap. Since then, he and I have enjoyed dancing to it several times. As a matter of fact, last night, Ray danced with Grayson and I danced with Zander to some mindless thug rap. G had the best time. I wonder if he realizes not all moms and dads dance to rap music with their toddler and newborn around the kitchen. :)
.
This afternoon, I turned on that rap station once again. I turned it up so Grayson could hear it. He came running to me from the other room with open arms. He wanted me to pick him up and dance with him. I did. We laughed and had a big time! It's easier when he lets me to do most of the dancing for both of us. When he starts bouncing - well, jumping is a better word - on my body, it hurts. And of course, we can't dance well together when he's on me. It becomes more of him dancing against me (if that makes sense)! But it's fun! He laughs! I laugh! And he's squeeling (with delight) so loud that today, I couldn't even hear if the song was still on!!! For all I know, we could've been dancing to a furniture commercial! :)
.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see his whole face smiling! That's a beautiful sight and wonderful memories made for all of you!